Trump haters now can pay for his tweets as NFTs just out of spite

Trump haters now can pay for his tweets as NFTs just out of spite

Trump haters now can pay for his tweets as NFTs just out of spite

A group of anonymous students calling themselves Strategic Meme Group, Incorporated has begun selling Donald Trump’s tweets as unreadable tokens (NFTs) on a special platform called Drumpfs.

Do I hate Trump? Buy the Drumpf and own a piece of history! With all the proceeds going to the charities he despises, you can hurt him where it counts, the website says.

We’re live!
Don’t forget to visit us at https://t.co/nq4EkA3NZs.

– Drumpfs (@officialdrumpfs) April 16, 2021

What is really for sale?

Apparently, they’re not even real tweets, as was the case when Jack Dorsey sold one of his tweets for nearly $3 million while Trump’s Twitter account was suspended in early January following riots at the U.S. Capitol. Instead, the group turned to the next best thing: a website called the Trump Twitter Archive, which has carefully curated the former US president’s thought processes.

A total of 46,694 Trump-NFT-Trump tweets are currently up for sale, 100 of which have been selected by the organizers as particularly infamous Drumpfs. The average user needs to pick up 0.0232 Ethereum (ETH), or about $55.45 at the current price. The infamous NFT is a bit more expensive – organizers charge 4.5 ETH ($10,700).

For a good cause?

Each NFT is presented as a 3D cube with a tweet from Trump on two sides and an image on the other two sides. The other two parties are busy branding Drumpf’s program.

According to the site’s FAQ, 97% of all proceeds go to various charities that Trump claims to despise, namely: Americares, Clean Air Task Force, ACLU, Southern Poverty Law Center, Doctors Without Borders and NAACP. Strategic Meme Group, Incorporated will retain the remaining 3% for the expenses described in the frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Trump haters now can pay for his tweets as NFTs just out of spite

Drumpfs cannot currently be resold on the site, the creators explained, but buyers could easily auction it on OpenSea to a host of potential buyers.

Meanwhile, Drumpf’s legality is questionable at best. Since the platform uses Trump’s public documents, it obviously has no rights to them (or to the tweets themselves). Also, a staggering number of the various pieces of art hanging from the drummers undoubtedly have their creators, who obviously had no say in how their intellectual property is used here.

Just when you thought the NFT craziness couldn’t get any crazier.

An edge in the cryptocurrency market

Get access to more cryptographic insights and context in every article as a paid Edge member.

Chain Analysis

Price overview

More context

Join now for $19 a month Discover all the benefits

Trump haters now can pay for his tweets as NFTs just out of spite

Do you like what you see? Subscribe to updates.

More Stories
Crypto Banter Will Give Away Over $500,000 To 10 Eligible Community Members